DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOLOGY
History of the Department:The Oxford Medical College was first established in the year 2012 and the department of Pharmacology started functioning since January 2013 with Dr.JaiPrakash R as the head of the department during which preparations were done for the letter of permission and the first renewal of MCI inspection including the setting up of the department, practical laboratories and museum. Background work for academic programmes for the upcoming MBBS students was carried out including framing of the practical record. The academic programmes for MBBS students began from September 2014.In 2019 we successfully faced the PG assessment and now it is a Post Graduate department.
Vision: To achieve and maintain international recognition for the quality of the professional undergraduate and postgraduatemedical programs in education and research.
Mission: To prepare graduates and postgraduates to be highly skilled, patient-centered health care professionals, scientists and educators. To advance scientific knowledge through research and education ranging from bench to bedside. To instill life-long learning, community service, and social responsibilities and to foster cultural sensitivity in all students.
- Bridge clinical practice with basic sciences as well as the social and behavioral aspects of health care to enhance student learning opportunities
- Provide drug information services to licensed health care professionals and improve drug information education to students in both didactic and experiential settings.
- Prepare students with a global perspective of health the includes cultural competency, health disparities, and a comparison of Indian and global health care systems. Integrate with other health care professionals to advance the profession
- Promote the creation of focus groups and seminar exchanges among basic and clinical departments based on research/disease interests.
Details of Heads of the Department:
||NAME OF HOD
||Dr Sujatha Sowmyanarayan
Contact information(department mail ID and extension contact number):
Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact number: extension:189
||Name of the Faculty Qualification IMR Number
||Details of Service
||Dr. Sujatha Govindarajan MBBS,MD 77681
||Professor & HOD
Professor & HOD
F - 01.03.2021
T - Till date
||Dr. Sapna Patil MBBS,MD 54697
F - 02.11.2020
T - Till date
||Dr. Jyothsnya. S MBBS,MD 74681
F - 07.10.2014
T - Till date
||Dr. Sriram B S M.Sc. & P.hD - Medical Pharmacology
F - 20.05.2022
T - Till date
||Dr. Sreenivasalu Palugulla M.Sc. P.hD.-Medical Pharmacology
F - 10.06.2022
T - Till date
||Mrs. Vasantha M N M.Sc, Medical
Professor & HOD
F - Tutor
T - Till date
||Dr. Roja C MBBS 133754
F - 02.03.2020
T - Till date
||Dr. Kuldeep . R MBBS 131281
F - 22.06.2019
T - Till date
||Dr. E Krithika MBBS 139406
F - 15.02.2022
T - Till date
E- learning resources:
- Helinet of RGUHS with 40 nodes in digital library
- Expharm series software ( Health Education Bureau – 10 nodes for CAL(computer Assisted Learning) in Experimenatl Pharmacology
- Lecture theatre : with seating capacity for 180 students and air conditioned
- Demonstration rooms: two demonstration rooms of 60sq. metre area to accommodate 75 students fitted with strip chairs, slide projector and television
- Practical laboratories:
- Experimental pharmacology (200 sq. meter area) having 10 internet nodes with Expharm software for Computer Assisted learning
- Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy (200 Sq meter area) having 10 mannequins for demonstration of safe Injection practices and drug stations for discussion on dosage forms and clinical based aspects. It also has one ante-room(14 sq.meter area) for technicians, storage of equipment and appliances and preparation room
- Museum (125sq meter area) with system wise drug specimens, models, charts depicting History of Medicine, charts on herbarium and medicinal plants with a seating capacity of 40 students. Museum is also provided with 15 copies of catalogues for student use.
- Department Library cum seminar room: (30 sq.meter area)having 120 books and a seating capacity for 12 students/ faculty members.
- Research laboratory (50 sq meter area) having necessary instruments and equipments for Post graduate research and training purposes.
- Clinical pharmacology unit
- Pharmacovigilance room: equipped with one system with Internet connection for adverse drug reactions monitoring.
CME Programmes and Activities
- CME on Pharmacovigilance to all the faculty members of the institution creating awareness about identifying and reporting of adverse drug reactions and how to fill the CDSCO ADR form
- Pharmacovigilance awareness programme for all medical students to report adverse drug reactions.
- Talk on pharmacovigilance and ADR in Tuberculosis and recent advances as part of CME on “tuberculosis Update” conducted by department of Pulmonology.
- Talk on recent advances in Diabetes management with special emphasis on “Continuous Blood Glucose Monitoring System” using subcutaneous Glucose sensor.
- Guiding students for ICMR sponsored projects
AWARDS AND ACHEIVEMENTS
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH
- Effect of felodipine on serum lipid profile in short term streptozotocin-diabetes in rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology volume 31,March 1993,pp.823-284
- Effect of felodipine on myocardial function and cholinergic responses in short term streptozotocin-diabetes in rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology volume 32,September 1994,pp.29-632
- Effect of felodipine on cholinergic responses of colonic smooth muscle of streptozotocin induced diabetic in rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology volume 33,April 1995,pp.297-299
- A brief encounter with epileptic patients in rural India. Epileptologia ( Poland) 2000,pp.229-235
- Knowledge, attitude and practice of physicians towards adverse drug reaction reporting in rural and urban areas of Orissa state, India. The Journal of Medicine Use in Developing Countries 2009:1(3); 65-66
- St.John’Medical College Research Society Merit Certificate 1992
- P.P. Suryakumari Award of Indian Pharmacological Society for best paper published in an International journal on experimental diabetes.1995.
- CME Workshop in Pharmacology conducted by Department of Pharmacology, St.John’s Medical College, Bangalore in June 1996.
- CME Workshop on Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology conducted by Department of Pharmacology, St.John’s Medical College, Bangalore in April and June 2002.
- External Supervisor for M.Sc., (Clinical Research), ICRI, Bangalore from June 2007 to July 2009.
- Institutional Review Board, Bangalore Baptist Hospital, Bangalore
- Institutional Ethics Committee, The Oxford Dental College & Hospital, Bangalore
- Institutional Ethics Committee, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, Bangalore
- Institutional Ethics Committee, East Point College of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
- Animal Ethics Committee, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, Bangalore
- Chairman, ICRI Independent Ethics Committee- Bangalore, from Jan 2008 to Sept 2009.
- Institutional Ethics Committee, Gunasheela Surgical and Maternity Hospital, Bangalore
Author: Pharmacology for Dental Professionals, Interline Publishing, Bangalore.
Extracurricular awards: Won several prizes at College, State and National level competitions in Public Speaking events.
- Successfully completed the course in “Research Methodology” conducted by Epidemiology Cell of St.John’s Medical College, Bangalore in 1992.
- Presented a paper at the ‘International Conference on Ethnoveterinary Medicine’ at Pune, India in 1997.
- Attended the ‘Orientation Programme on Objective Structured Practical Examination for Medical College Teachers conducted by Rajiv Gandhi University and MSRMC,Bangalore in 2003
- Attended CME on “Alternative teaching-learning methods’ conducted by MSRMC, Bangalore in 2004.
- Attended workshop on “Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Higher Education” conducted by Cranfield University, Bangalore in 2008.
- Attended workshop on “Teaching and Learning Issues” conducted by Cranfield University, Bangalore in 2009.
- Participated in the CME on Ethics in Clinical Research-Basics & Contentious Issues. Conducted by the Department of Pharmacology, Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute. March 2010
- Participated in the Medical Council of India Platinum Jubilee Celebrations Commemorative International Workshop in March 2009
- Participated in the 5th National Bioethics Conference conducted by the Indian Journal of Medical Ethics, St. John’s Medical College &SOCHARA.December 2014
- Participated in Research Methodology CME & Workshop conducted by RGUHS in June 2015
- Successfully completed training on ICH-GCP conducted by IndegeneLifesystemsPvt. Ltd, Bangalore in December 2015
- Completed MCI recognized Revised Basic MET Training at St.John’s Medical College, Bangalore in December 2015
- Participated in ‘Prevention of cancer cervix’ CME at The Oxford Medical college in January 2016
- Completed ‘ICH- GCP’ training conducted by Indegene, Bangalore in December 2015
- Completed NIH training ‘Protecting Human Research Participants’ in June 2017
Dr.Sushma Naidu V
Awards and achievements:
- Gold Medalist as University Topper in MD examinations.
- Certificate course in Diabetology (CCEBDM) from Public Health Foundation of India.
- Paper presentation at XLVI international conference of Indian Pharmacological society : “Effect of antidiabetic activity of Acoruscalamus in diabetic albino rats”
- Poster presentation at XLVI international conference of Indian Pharmacological society : “A study to evaluate skeletal muscle relaxant activity of Pregabalin and Gabapentin in albino rats”
- Poster presentation at XLIV National Annual Conference of Indian Pharmacological Society: “Differential anti-inflammatory activity of Indomethacin in different experimental animal models”
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH:
||NATIONAL / INTERNATIONAL
|Pattern of adverse drug
reactions to anti-epileptic drugs;
a cross-sectional one-year
survey at a tertiary care hospital
|Probiotics: Current trends in the
Treatment of diarrhoea
|Efficacy of Polyherbal
Moisturising skin cream in dry Scaly lesions with
|Newer oral Hypoglycaemic Agents
|Adverse Drug Reactions in
Dermatology department of a
Tertiary Care Hospital: a prospective study
|| Jan 2018
Monitoring of adverse drug
reactions in the Medicine,Paediatric
and Surgical departments of a
Tertiary Care Hospital
|| April 2018
Exploration of mechanisms responsible for the protective effect of Emblicaofficinalisin acute pancreatitis in rats
Comparative evaluation of Brufen 600 versus Voveran50 in post-episiotomy pain ( 50 patients)
Study of Efficacy and safety of all day moisturizing cream in patients with dry skin
Study of pattern of adverse drug reactions to anti-epileptic drugs: a cross-sectional one year survey at a tertiary care hospital
Adverse drug reaction monitoring in in-patient surgical ward of K.J Somaiya Medical College and Hospital
Pharmacovigilance Adverse drug reaction monitoring in all the departments of East Point Medical College and Hospital
Pharmacovigilance - Adverse Drug Reaction Monitoring in all the departments of Oxford Medical College ,Hospital and Research Centre
Dr. Sriram B.S. Assistant Professor
Secured Jagadguru Sri Shivarathreeshwara Gold medal as Topper in Pharmacology and Medical M.sc examination in 2016
Obtained NITTE (deemed to be university) Scholarship for completing Ph.D
Best Poster presentation award in 39th International conference of Indian Association of Bio medical Scientists held at chikkaaluvara for research on quercetin and its role in MSG induced depression.
Acquired skills of Counseling Adolescents and worked as student faculty in Department of Psychology during UG
Did research on Lung cancer during P.G and submitted Dissertation
Conducted Research on aging and handled two projects during Ph.D.
1.SRIRAM BS, & RAVICHANDRA V. (2019). AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY EVALUATING THE INFLUENCE OF QUERCETIN ON MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE-INDUCED DEPRESSION IN SWISS ALBINO MALE MICE. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 12(5), 292–294.
2. KM, V., BS, S., V, R., & HOLLA, R. (2020). EFFECTS OF TELMISARTAN ON PLASMA INTERLEUKIN-6 AND C-REACTIVE PROTEIN LEVELS IN MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE-INDUCED OBESITY IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 13(6), 146–148.
3.DUBBAL, R. and BS, S. (2020) “EVALUATION OF SERUM INTERLEUKIN-6 AND TUMOR NECROSIS FACTOR-ALPHA LEVELS IN PATIENTS WITH DENGUE FEVER – A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL BASED STUDY”, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research, 13(4), pp. 185–187
4.Sriram, B. S., Ravichandra, V., Holla, R., Moodithaya, S., & Prasad, K. (2020). An Experimental Study Evaluating the dose of oral D-Galactose on aging Induction in wistar albino male Rats. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 13(7), 3289-3292.
5. Sriram BS, Ravichandra V, Moodithaya S, Holla R and Kumari NS: Effects of poly-unsaturated fatty acids on leukocyte telomere length and inflammatory markers in d-galactose treated Wistar albino male rats. Int J Pharm Sci & Res 2021; 12(2): 1131-34.
- 18 publications in International journals
- 4 Publications - as Principal Investigator & 14 as Co-Investigator
||Investigators as PI/Co PI
||A study to evaluate the skeletal muscle relaxant activity of Pregabalin and Gabapentin in albino rats
||Study of the oral hypoglycemic activity of Moringaoleifera leaves alone and in combination with Glibenclamide in streptozotocin induced diabetic albino rats
||To evaluate the anticonvulsant activity of ethanolic extract of Moringaoleifera (drumstick leaves) in albino mice
||The effect of Amlodipine on oral glucose induced Glycaemic changes in normal albino rats
||A comparative study of adverse drug reactions reported by healthcare professionals and patients in a tertiary care teaching hospital
||The effect of Pantoprazole on oral glucose induced Glycaemic changes in normal albino rats
||The effect of Nifedipine on oral glucose induced Glycaemic changes in normal albino rats
||Varied anti- inflammatory activity of Indomethacin in different experimental animal models
||A novel methodology to evaluate preventive/ prophylactic property of Drugs/Plant products in Streptozotocin induced diabetic animal models
||Anti-convulsant activity of CalotropisGigantia in Albino mice
||Drug utilization pattern in Paediatric dentistry in a tertiary care hospital
||Anti-epileptic activity of Calcium channel blockers in animal models of Epilepsy
||Antidepressant activity of methanolic extract of Acoruscalamus in albino mice
||Screening of Cetrizine for its antiinflammatory potential in Albino rats
||A study to evaluate the anticancer activity of Barleriagrandifloradalz (bg): an in vivo study
||Antioxidant and antiarthritic activity of Allicin in animal models
||Evaluation of the anticonvulsant activity of ethanol extract of Psidiumguajava (guava leaves) in albino mice
||Anti depressant activity of fresh leaves of Tinosporacordifoliamiers (amruthaballi) in albino mice
- International conference on “Translating research to therapy” organized by Indian Pharmacological Society held at Nimhans convention centre, Bangalore.
- National conference on “Challenges ahead in Translational pharmacology” organized by Indian Pharmacological Society& Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
- International conference on “Pharmacology and Translational research” organized by Indian Pharmacological Society and national executive committee held at the food and drug toxicology research centre, national institute of nutrition, Hyderabad.
- International conference of Indian society of Rational Pharmacotherapeutics held at R.G.Kar Medical College, Kolkata.
- Two days national seminar on Clinical and Molecular approaches for drug discovery at JSS college of Pharmacy, Ooty.
- Workshop on “Career Sculpting for Pharmacologists” organized by Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal university.
- Workshop on “Neuropsychopharmacology and wound healing methodology” organized by Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, Manipal university.
- Workshop on “current updates in GCP-Role of IECs organized by national executive committee of Indian Pharmacological society.
- Workshop on “novel concepts in Diabetes Mellitus” held at Mysore Medical College, Mysore.
- Workshop on “sleep physiology” conducted by department of physiology, JSS Medical College, Mysore.
- Workshop on “Live demonstration of Animal handling/screening techniques”, JSS Medical college, Mysore.
- Workshop on “Principles and methods in Clinical research” held at St. Johns Medical College, Bangalore
- Workshop on “Advanced GCP and Biostatistics” organized by Department of pharmacology, Dr.B.R.Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore
- CME on “Recent advances in Polio Eradication, Measles control and routine Immunisation” organized by Dept of Community Medicine, JSS Medical College, Mysore.
- CME on “ Tuberculosis and RNTCP” organized by the Dept of General Medicine and Pulmonology, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre.
- CME on “ Sexual assaults” organized by the Dept of Forensic Medicine and OBG, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre.
- CME on “ Update in Infertility” organized by the Dept of OBG, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre.
- CME on “ Diabetic Update-2017” organized by the Dept of General Medicine, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre.
- CME on “ Updates on RNTCP” organized by the Dept of Community Medicine, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre.
- CME on “The Prevention of Cancer Cervix” organized by the Dept of OBG, The Oxford Medical College, Hospital and Research Centre
- CME on “ The Year in Diabetes- Endocrinology- Lipids- Medicine 2015” organized by the Samatvam Institute of Medical Sciences
Member: Institutional Ethics committee of NarayanaHrudayalaya Hospital, Bangalore
- Antidepressant activity of Methanolic extract of Acoruscalamus leaves in Albino mice
Journal : IJPT/ July 2013/ Vol. 5/ issue no. 2 / 5458 – 5465
- Evaluation and comparison of anticonvulsant activity of Telmisartan and Olmesartan in experimentally induced animal models of epilepsy
Journal : JCDR/ 2014 Oct/ Vol-8(10)/ HC08-HC11
- Evaluation of analgesic activity of Irbesartan in albino mice
Journal: IJBCP/2014/ 3(2)/331-335.
- Anticonvulsant activity of aqueous root extract of Calotropisgigantea in albino mice
Journal: IJPPS/ 2013/5(3)/811-814
- Evaluation of the antiepileptic activity of Felodepine in albino mice
Journal: IJPPS/ 2014/6(6)/498-500
- Evaluation of the oral hypoglycemic activity of methanolic extract of Garciniaindica seeds in streptozotocin induced diabetic albino rats